Wednesday, June 24, 2009

More lows and highs than the ocean tide...

Like Alexander, Tuesday began as a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." E had left Monday afternoon, traveling to DC for a one-day conference. So, C and I were running solo (although I guess with two of us, it would technically be a duet, not a solo). Anyway, our day started with the great cat roundup - Bella kitty needed to be herded into her kennel for a trip to the vet. She had not been eating and was having tummy and bladder issues. Herding cats...nearly impossible. So, after lots of fuss, Bella finally found herself in the kennel! Don't know who was fussier during the car ride: Bella the meower or Colin, who kept saying, "It okay Beh-wah...you be okay...you no cry now" and was confused as to why a Siamese-mixed breed would refuse to let a 3 year-old boy hold her paw. Bloodwork, two injections, flea/tick treatment, medical mystery left unsolved, and credit card charge, mission completion. Bella arrived safely home.

After taking Bella home, C and I departed for some workout and play time. C was full of questions about the "whys" Bella was sick and (in his words) "frustrated" that Mum-mum the Omnipotent didn't provide adequate answers to "Life, the Universe, and Everything," using an outside voice to emphasize the point. Unfortunately, the outside voice coincided with the moment I was beginning to pull into a parking spot - subsequently resulting in the meeting of my passengerside bumper with the rear quarter panel and rear driver side door of another vehicle. Fortunately, I was able to locate the owner of the vehicle and exchange insurance information (thankfully, she was very nice and greatful that I wanted to do the right thing).

After arriving home (after an abbreviated workout), C decided to take a late nap (1:30 pm - he normally goes down for his nap around 12:30 pm - and yes, I know, be thankful that a 3 year old still naps). I was thoroughly convinced "the call" would not happen and sat down at my computer to check emails and Facebook. At 2:39 pm, my cell phone rang. I thought, "...hmm, who could that be" and walked downstairs to check. Glancing quickly, I didn't recognize the number listed and tried to redial...the number was one that could not accept incoming calls. After this, I noticed there was one voice mail and went to retrieve the message.

"Hi T, it's Abbey from Gladney. Have some good news to share with you. So give me a call back when you get this."

Good news...no...E's in DC....OMG (all this time running upstairs and working my best to keep the excitement to a mouse-like squeak (and not wake up C). So, I hurriedly returned Abbey's call and asked if this was the call (for which she said, Yes). I told her I needed to call E because he was out of town in DC and would call her back. So, call #1 placed to E - no answer...left a message. Waited a few minutes and placed call #2 - no answer, second message left.

I made an executive decision to go ahead and proceed w/ "the call". So, with much happiness, I sat down at the computer and received the news that would change my (and our family's) life for the second time. We were receiving a referral for an adorable infant girl, estimated date of birth on May 16th -Miss M. She was five weeks old and an itty bitty (current weight of 7 lbs).

Looking at these precious photographs, I was amazed at her tiny hands and feet, wide open eyes, and chuckled at these words, "peaceful, content little baby. Of course when it comes time for her feedings, she does not show the slightest hesitation in crying for her milk." Although my heart wasn't small, like the Grinch it grew three sizes that day.

Three additional calls to E yielded no results. Finally, the phone rang at 4:49 pm and I was able to relay the news that E was going to be Ba for a second time. Since he had no internet access, he would look at her pictures and information after he arrived home that evening. Now that he knew, I was call the family and let them know about Miss M's referral call (incredible restraint...I know).

Flashforward to 8:15 pm. I was w/ C at a board meeting when E called. Apparently he missed his flight (thought it departed at 7:30 pm, rather than the actual time 30 minutes earlier), had to stay overnight, and arrived safely home this morning. E was able to see the pictures of his baby daughter.

Although we are not permitted to tell you her name or display any pictures...trust me, she is an absolute doll! She is another miracle and has already taken her place as a member of the family. We are so thrilled to become Baby M's parents and look forward to the day she is placed with us permanetly!

A final word: today was Abbey's last day with the Gladney family. I was thrilled that she was the one to make "the call." She will be missed; however, we look forward to working again with Jessica as we go through the final stages of bringing Baby M home.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Love this story and your executive decision!! Congrats!

Jen said...

Love referral stories...teya lways are a dtory. Congrats. Praying for a smooth court process.

Tanya said...

Congratulations on your referral! Hope you can pass court before they close!