E's birthday is tomorrow and she's very excited about it. She's having her party at the Painted Piggy Spa. The girls (don't let out the secret) get their Piggies painted. She's also excited about going to walk around the Speedway tomorrow night to see the Xmas lights. I'm guessing her sister and brother will be less excited after walking the first 100
3 weeks ago were parent/teacher conferences. M's homeroom teacher said she was doing great in her studies and was well behaved in class. M's Spanish teacher told me that I needed to talk to M because she was refusing to do the tests, repeating to the teacher after each question, "I can't understand what you are saying." I told the teacher I would talk to her but doubted it would do much good because M decides what she wants to do and when she wants to do it. The teacher gave me a dirty look to express her displeasure at my lack of cooperation. Then M's homeroom teacher chimed in to admit that she had given up on trying to get M to move on the next activity at the same time as everyone else. M just joins them when she is ready to (which is ok with the teacher because she does it quietly and doesn't disturb the others.) At some point, she will have teachers who are not so accommodating. When we told M that we could put her in a regular 1st grade class if she didn't like Spanish, but doing so would also require her to leave Ms. Beck's class (who she loves), we were denounced as mean and attempting to commit heresy. So she stays for now.
Also just before Halloween, in fact, precisely one week before, I got a big pumpkin. It was a beautiful Saturday morning and the kids wanted to carve it immediately. Why not? They got out a pattern. I had refused to do those patterns in previous years because they looked really intricate. Well, why not? M and E helped get the goop out of the inside and taped the pattern on the outside. Then I used the little carving elements that came with the kit and it actually came out very well. The moon with the Grim Reaper's silhouette. I put it in the garage to keep it in the cool and dark for the week. Nice try. By Tues, there was fuzzy mold around the top opening of the pumpkin; by Wed, there was about a half inch of mold around every opening and all around the inside; by Thurs, the pumpkin had collapsed. I had to use a shovel to scoop it up and take it to the trash bin. Lesson learned for next year--it's too warm in Oct for a carved pumpkin to last a week. Carve it at the last minute. This year's costumes: C was a hammerhead creature from Pirates of the Caribbean, M was Evie (with Mel's wig!) from Disney's Descendents, and E was Jessie from Toy Story but also carried Toto in Dorothy's basket. It was a create your own pop-culture mash costume for us this Halloween. Enough candy to last until the next pumpkin carving!
No comments:
Post a Comment