Story in the "Recorded for Posterity" File. Throughout last year C, had a long and frequently changing list of Xmas requests which he recorded about once a month on scraps of paper. Then in early Dec., he saw a robot dinosaur which immediately went to the top of the list--and stayed there through Xmas. And he reminded us about its status regularly.
When the prize was not under the tree on Xmas morning at Oma and Opa's house, we reassured him that Santa always left large gifts back in NC and that the dinosaur might be waiting there. Nevertheless, we were informed of his displeasure several times in the intervening week. We returned to NC and Santa had indeed come through and delivered desirable dinosaur to our domicile. Thank you Santa! The next day, I untangled the 57 wires and strings used to harness the dinosaur to its box (after all, no one wants a dinosaur breaking loose and rampaging through the Concord Target!), put in about a dozen batteries, tested it, waited for C to return home from playing with his friends down the street.
C returned, took the remote, got the dinosaur to respond to his commands, and called M and E. M wasn't impressed or frightened and wandered off, secure in the knowledge that she could still create more mayhem than the dinosaur. E was very excited and thought it would make a wonderful pet. She wanted to pat its head and give it hugs, but it kept dodging away from her. Which she thought was funny. C got frustrated and turned it off. I asked him what was wrong. "It won't bite my sisters." It hasn't been turned on since. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what other uses there would be for a robot dinosaur, but I admit I hadn't thought of that purpose before Xmas. I guess it's been too long since I've been a 9 year old boy.
So, let's all reflect on the moral of the story: "Be careful what you wish for because it won't bite your sisters!" ...Or is it: "There's always next Christmas..."
Family Blog
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment