Then, the call comes. You have a referral. Another call comes, you have a court date. Another call comes, and the child is yours. Then, another call, you have a travel date. And before you know it, it's six days before you're scheduled to travel and realize time is excelerating at Warp Factor 10 (any faster and I'd turn into an anthropomorphic newt). Believe it or not, it's time to commence initial stages of packing.
Since big brother C is staying home, there's additional packing and information to gather (contact numbers, consent for health care treatment/medication administration, copies copies and more copies of forms) in addition to packing for international travel.
Rather than feel overwhelmed by the sheer velocity of time travel and the mounting piles of gotta need getta hav'a things to do, I take a deep breath and reflect on the things we've accomplished in the past week.
Thanks to assistance from Aunt Kiki and E, the nursery is done - we have furniture, washed clothing, and organization (large plastic storage containers are a must!). Although, I must confess the nursery is again cluttered thanks to aforementioned travel preparations. Even C's room is a bit more organized as well!
Yesterday (Saturday) was Baby Shower #1. Many thanks to our friends and neighbors who came to celebrate the impending arrival of Baby M. Aunt Kiki and Nancy did a wonderful job as hosts. The food was indeed yummy and the fellowship warm and festive.
Today (Sunday), I became a walking, living, breathing pharmacy, thanks to my expedition to Target and Rite-Aid (picked up a few...well, maybe not a few...additional travel essentials). Hopefully, I'll make a list of the things we're bringing and see what really will be essential when all is said and done. Of course, best laid plans and Murphy's Law has determined that I didn't pick up all the essentials...the printer cartridge is low and now has to be replaced.
"Mommy Brain" mandates that I now have to make lists for everything...otherwise, I'd probably forget my head if it weren't attached. But, in one week, I imagine the craziness of this week...like the tides of the ocean....will recede and all will be a not-so distant memory, as we will finally see our daughter face to face.
It's late, I'm tired (finally) and I'm on Big Brother C patrol tomorrow. For now, here's a special treat - pictures of Baby M, including the last photos we received from our agency (...now 9 lbs and 20 1/4 inches of sheer beauty).
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox photobook |

3 comments:
I'm excited for you, have a safe trip!
I know what you mean about the timing with adoption. I love the picture. So cute!
I completely understand the "warp speed"! I still can't believe our son is actually here with us sometimes. All that waiting, then BOOM, you are instant parents to an unknown child. Praying for your trip as you prepare your home & your heart. Blessings!
Post a Comment